Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Thing 23 - Evaluate 23 Mobile Things

I started out this program with little idea of what an app was and I have gained much understanding of all the resources out there for mobile devices.  Some of my favorite apps include instagram, pintarest, spotify and quixey--I like apps that allow me to be creative.  I was able to connect with a couple of other people in my library system who are doing this program by reading their blogs.  One person, Sarah, was a good mentor for me.  She showed me how to take a screenshot.  She has both a phone and tablet and has been using apps for probably a few years.  Even though she is so much younger, she has much more experience and knowledge of the digital world.  I connected with my co-worker Carolyn as a colleague and mentor.  She saw how much fun I was having with my ASUS and she decided to buy one also so she could complete this program, which she did.   Something that surprised me was that apps are really simple web pages.  In contrast with the 23 Things on a Stick, using the apps was more streamlined.  My previous blog had all kinds of widgets, designs, videos--all of which I was encouraged to add by the self-paced program.  For this blog, I didn't have to do much more than write my impressions of what I had seen.  I usually downloaded the icon of the app that I was reviewing, but I didn't have to add much to my blog.  I'm not sure that the program can be improved.  I liked the variety of looking at apps through both a personal and professional lens.  I suppose focusing more on how libraries can use apps would be a suggestion.  I would definitely take another self-paced learning program on new technologies.  Winter is a good time of year to take on this course since it is slower at my library.   My comment:  Taking this course made me feel less like a digital immigrant and more like I can hold a conversation with a digital native.

1 comment: