Friday, April 11, 2014

Thing 17 - Connecting to Community

I have downloaded several of the local apps and I think I could use several more.  The one that I have been using all winter is the 511 on Road Conditions.  I have been using the website on my computer so it is handy to get a snapshot of road conditions on my Android device.  The Superior Hiking Trail App is also handy, although I do have a book that describes the trail in more detail.  (I was super excited about hiking this trail last summer.  My brother and sister-in-law came for a visit and we went up to the north shore to try the hike from Split Rock to Beaver Bay--well we got lost and ended up hiking two hours longer than we expected.  I was completely exhausted and lost a couple of toenails in the process.  My brother and sister in law were fine--they hike in real mountains on a regular basis, but I learned that my enthusiasm doesn't always match my skill level.)  I have also downloaded the Explore Minnesota App.  My husband and I like to bird watch and there were several ideas of places close by that we haven't explored yet, so this will be a great app for us this spring.  I also like MPR and listen on a regular basis.  This App provides me another way to access my favorite shows and music.  The road conditions app has been the most helpful professionally.  When I was unsure of whether to open the library after a particularly icy and cold storm, the road conditions that recommended "no travel" on the roads that lead to the library was confirmation.  It's always good to have some strong evidence when you have to make a decision not to open.

No comments:

Post a Comment