Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Thing 22 - Discovering Apps

After downloading both Droid of the Day and Quixey, I have to say that Quixey is the far better app.  I searched for apps in both applications, but came up blank on Droid often.  I never came up blank with Quixey--even when I misspelled a word--it gave me an app in another language.  Quixey has a nice white screen that offsets the app icons well.  The Droid screen is small and dark with a far smaller font.  Some of the topics that I put in included travel, fitness, yoga, poetry, art and recipes.  Many apps came up--most of them free.  When Quixey couldn't find an app--I guess I did search for something that came up blank, I got this message, "We didn't seem to find any apps for your query.  Try another search or see some sample queries!" There were endless sample queries including, find cool wallpaper, chat with friends, track my steps, play word games (word games came up blank with droid).  Quixey has really expanded my view of what apps can do.  I think I will try to get some that I can use for day to day concerns such as creating a calendar, planning recipes and tracking fitness.  I found a few apps for book reviews, including "good reads" which I have used as a website.  A few other ways to discover new apps include going to websites that you like such as Star Tribune--they may have developed an app.  I also have heard ads for apps--one of those was a news app for mpr.  I can see that I may have to start managing my apps as I get more.  There are some I have downloaded and seldom use and there are some that just don't work.  Quixey will be a useful app search, but I think I can abandon Droid of the Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment