Saturday, April 19, 2014

Thing 21 - Free for All

The one thing that I have used my tablet for on a regular basis is magazines.  There were some news apps among the 23 Mobile Things that had multiple publications, but no apps for specific magazines.  I use Next Issue and Zinio.  Next issue is for the digital edition of a magazine that I subscribe to.  Zinio is the app that allows me to get free magazines from East Central Regional Library.  These magazines might be hard to read on a phone, but reading magazines on a tablet is great.  You get the complete experience of the magazine--ads and all, without dealing with the paper copy.  Another feature, is that I can get the magazine the day it comes out instead of waiting a few days for the mailed copy.  I often start reading The New Yorker on my ASUS and then finish up on the hard copy.  ECRL subscribes to about 80 magazines.  I can go to my Zinio App and search for a title.  I just put in my library card and password and I have access to those magazines. They can be downloaded when you have wi-fi and then read later--say when you are traveling.  I have an older Kindle and though I could get magazines on it, it was mainly text.  With my ASUS I get the complete color version of a magazine, which depending on the topic, can be a wonderful feature.  I would recommend including some magazine apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment